The European Clinical Research Infrastructure Network (ECRIN, www.ecrin.org), a public research organisation, is currently recruiting a Software Engineer, to be based at its Paris office.
ECRIN is a non-profit, distributed infrastructure. It was awarded the legal status of a European Research Infrastructure Consortium (ERIC) in 2013 based on Council Regulation (EC) N° 723/2009 of 25th June 2009 on the Community legal framework for an ERIC.
ECRIN provides support to the management of multinational clinical research projects in Europe. ECRIN is based on the connection of national networks of clinical research infrastructures (clinical trial units) having the capacity to manage trials locally. ECRIN provides information, consulting and services to investigators and sponsors in the preparation and in the conduct of multinational clinical studies, in any disease area. Most of the ECRIN-supported projects are funded by the Horizon 2020 (H2020) Programme of the European Union or by the Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI).
ECRIN also participates in EU funded projects to develop new services, tools, and knowledge to meet the needs of medical research communities or related research infrastructures. For example, ECRIN participates in the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) to develop, together with other European research infrastructures, new data services for medical research communities.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This is a unique opportunity for a motivated individual who wishes to further develop his/her career working with and developing systems and tools to support ECRIN’s infrastructure projects.
The post holder will join a small existing team working in this area and will participate in the planning, modelling, design, implementation, testing and documentation of IT solutions, tools and services supporting clinical research. He or she may act as the technical representative of ECRIN in selected projects. Current projects include developing systems for metadata collection and processing, including data extraction through XML processing and web scraping, repository management tools to support data sharing and the secondary use of health data, and systems to support the ECRIN data centre certification programme. Expertise is required across the ‘full stack’, i.e. both back end work manipulating large databases and developing APIs, and front end work developing web portals and browser based tools. The post holder may also be involved in general IT support activities and system development within ECRIN’s internal workflows.
The Software Engineer works within the ECRIN core team based in Paris, in the Infrastructure Development unit. The post is under the hierarchical responsibility of the Head of Infrastructure Development Projects Unit.
- Scientific background (computer science, or mathematics, physics, biology)
- Experience in software development using C# / .Net Core, or Java, or a similar general purpose language.*
- Experience in managing and accessing large scale relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQL Server), including API development.*
- Experience in deploying, testing, and documenting software projects.
- Experience in server management, including scripting (e.g. bash or pwershell).
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English (working language)
- A dedicated yet diplomatic personality
* Technologies currently in use within ECRIN projects include C# / .Net Core, AngularJS and PostgreSQL. Both Windows and Linux machines are used.
- Master’s degree or above in software development or related topic.
- Experience in data management in a scientific context.
- Knowledge of data protection challenges when dealing with sensitive health or clinical research data
- Experience in operating at European/international level.
- Interest and expertise in machine learning and / or NLP techniques.
- Interest and expertise in NoSQL approaches to data management.
Please note that candidates may be required to demonstrate technical expertise and knowledge during the interview process.
The post is a full-time contract according to French law. The salary is set according to European/international standards for similar positions, and will depend on qualifications and experience. A relocation package may be included.
Place of employment: Paris, France, where ECRIN has its Management Office and legal address.
A letter of motivation with a Curriculum Vitae (European format with photo) may be addressed to Mrs Alicja Szofer-Araya (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Deadline to receive applications: October 31st, 2021.
Expected start date: November/December 2021
ECRIN is an inclusive, equal opportunity and non-discrimination employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. More information on ECRIN at www.ecrin.org