Patient engagement and patient involvement, is a key priority for ECRIN. It is one of the goals in the Strategic Plan 2021-2023, and aims to strengthen and develop balanced partnerships with users and patients that lead to more efficient and successful clinical research.
Patient engagement and Clinical Research
A significant step to achieve this goal is to collaborate and exchange with patients’ communities. To promote patient involvement and patient engagement in clinical research, ECRIN has started a strategic collaboration with EUPATI, the European Patients’ Academy on Therapeutic Innovation. Together, ECRIN and EUPATI wish to elaborate on their commitment to provide and improve education and training opportunities in clinical research for patients and patient representatives. Also, they aim to strengthen academic researchers’ capacities to effectively engage with patients in their studies.
To promote the dialogue between the clinical research community, patients and patient representatives, ECRIN strives to incorporate the support of patient education, and to reach out to researchers on meaningful patient engagement.
ECRIN is a Sustaining Partner of EUPATI, and contributes to informing patients and to prepare them to participate in the clinical research process. Within this collaboration, ECRIN aims to create the liaison with the EUPATI National Partners and the ECRIN national partners.
By authoring relevant information on clinical trials and research, ECRIN contributes to the content development for the EUPATI Patient Expert Training Programme and the EUPATI Toolbox. The ECRIN involvement on Patient Education incorporates:
- Content development for the EUPATI Patient Expert Training Programme
- Content development EUPATI Toolbox
- Participation in the EUPATI Editorial Board
- Participating in the continued education for EUPATI Fellows
- Co-organising training events and webinars with EUPATI
- Disseminating relevant ECRIN/EUPATI patient engagement initiatives
Researchers and meaningful patient engagement
By informing and training on patient involvement, ECRIN strives after meaningful patient engagement and creating responsible research principles:
- Raise awareness for patient engagement
- Stimulate clinical research to include responsible research principles
- Participate with patients and patient representatives in their studies
- Co-organising training events and webinar