EJP-RD (European Joint Programme on Rare Diseases)
Rare diseases are a major challenge that requires integrated and collaborative efforts from a wide range of stakeholders. To take rare disease collaborative research in Europe to the next level and support achievement of the IRDiRC 2027 goals, the European Commission has approved the European Joint Programme on Rare Diseases (EJP-RD), an EU-wide and patient-centred initiative to foster rare disease research from bench to bedside and back. The programme, due to launch in January 2019, will receive 55 million EUR over 5 years to establish a comprehensive strategy covering funding, research, data, training, tools and clinical aspects to increase the efficiency of results use, diagnosis, drug discovery, patient care and to empowering all stakeholders.
EJP-RD goals include:
- enabling sustainable and interoperable data re-use and sharing based on FAIR principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Re-usable);
- structuring the connection with European Reference Networks;
- funding high-quality, transformative research, enhancing uptake of research results for translation into healthcare and effectively transferring innovation for exploitation by SMEs and industry;
- promoting adapted research methodologies for rare disease research;
- providing capacity building to all relevant stakeholders for better research in the future;
- ensuring patient involvement in all steps of the research pathway.
This work will be organised into four pillars: I) Collaborative research funding; II) Innovative coordinated access to data and services; III) Capacity building and empowerment; IV) Accelerating translation of high potential projects and improving outcomes of clinical trials in small populations.
Download a poster presenting ECRIN's role in the project (presented at the 7th RD Summer School, 2019)
This initiative has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement number 825575.
- 06-10-2022 - Why are rare disease academic trials not the norm?
- 29-09-2022 - Identifying obstacles hindering the development of academic-sponsored trials for drug repurposing on rare-diseases
- 22-03-2022 - Explore the Rare Diseases Clinical Trials Toolbox
- 26-01-2022 - IRDiRC publication on 10 years of progress
- 16-11-2021 - EJP RD Joint Transnational Call 2022
- 15-11-2021 - European Commission (EC) opens funding call on development of new effective therapies for rare diseases
- 04-11-2021 - EJP RD Research Mobility Fellowships
- 26-01-2021 - EJP Informational Webinar for Joint Transnational Call 2021
- 01-12-2020 - RE(ACT) Congress & IRDiRC Conference 2021
- 14-09-2020 - EJP RD General Assembly Meeting
- 13-01-2020 - EJP RD - RDR Challenges Networking Event
- 07-01-2020 - EJP-RD Networking Support Scheme Now Open
- 06-12-2019 - Postponed! RE(ACT) Congress & IRDiRC Conference 2020
- 20-11-2019 - EJP RD Joint Transnational Call 2020
- 20-11-2019 - Clinical Trials Methodology Demonstration Projects - EJP RD Internal Call for Proposals 2019
- 10-10-2019 - Partner Event: EJP-RD 'Info Day and Brokerage Event' in Istanbul
- 01-10-2019 - European Joint Programme on Rare Diseases (EJP-RD) Support Office Now Online
- 27-11-2018 - Webinar (in French): European Joint Programme on Rare Diseases, the Instrument and Future Calls