ICTD 2021: Platform Trials: Shift in Treatment, Testing and Collaboration
In light of the current pandemic, ECRIN is organising a virtual event for International Clinical Trials Day (ICTD) on May 20th, 2021.
ICTD 2021 will bring together stakeholders from across Europe and the globe to discuss the growing interest in platform trials from best practices to challenges in the European context. ICTD is open to research organisations, clinical research professionals, patient organisations, regulatory and ethics bodies, funders and industry.
Platform trials, sometimes known as adaptive platform trials, allow a multitude of different treatment options (arms) to be compared with a single control (arm). They enable ineffective arms to be stopped after an interim analysis. To date, they have been used principally in the field of oncology and more recently infectious diseases. They represent the clinical approach selected by the European Commission to find a treatment for COVID-19.
This new trial format raises many questions, changes our approach to conducting clinical trials and testing for appropriate treatments. Through this online conference, we hope to help you answer some of the following questions:
- What are the underlying objectives of a platform trial?
- Which parameters must be considered in the design, statistical plan and data management?
- How should one address regulatory and ethical issues as well as the involvement of patients?
- What types of management, economic and governance concerns may be encountered when we use this trial model?
The virtual event (10:00 – 16:00 CEST) is free and open to all.
Registration is now open:
The draft agenda includes:
- The power of large simple trials;
- Presentations of specific platform trials to highlight: the approach of a multi-domain platform trial with adaptive randomisation, considerations when developing a European platform trial during a pandemic and recommendation on addressing operation challenges;
- Considerations of the use of platform trials on the research team and on the patient experience;
- A panel discussion to address regulatory & ethical issues related to the trial, its design and implementation;
- The choice of platform trials for the European COVID response;
- The use of CTIS for platform trials.
See full press release: HERE